Hi

Chrome extension which allows you to right click on selected text and search on multiple sites at the same time.

Sunday, April 8, 2012

0.1.7.3 is out

Hey there, a few days ago I published 0.1.7.3, which has a few code fixes and one new feature called "Search on all!" which will basically search your selection on all your configured search engines at the same time, opening a tab for each result...
I'm not sure how useful this is... is it?
I had plans to do this for a while, and a comment from Jon to my last post (thanks again!) made me remember it.
As per Jon's request, to enable some kind of "bulk search" if you select multiple lines, I'm working on it... I'll have to change the way the selection is analyzed, so far I was working with some default context menu option (selectionText), which will always return a string of text, with no break lines, so there's no way to tell if there's multiple lines on the selection.
The trick is to parse the selection as HTML (using x.Selector.getSelected()), decide which HTML tags I'll parse as line breakers, and try and iterate through the line breaks, strip the text of other HTML tags, and perform search queries per each line...
I still have a few things to figure out before I do this, such as how will all this work from an UX perspective... but it's a nice challenge.

I hope next version will include this feature...

As for this one, the only other change was on the options page. I removed the "ToDo list" since there was little there remaining... and I will be posting it here...

In its place, I included a few "suggestions" on how you could support this extension's developer (aka me), which I'll also be posting here.

Ps: if you're interested on x.Selector.getSelected(), here's my question at stack overflow and its answer (Thank you Richard)

No comments:

Post a Comment