Hi

Chrome extension which allows you to right click on selected text and search on multiple sites at the same time.

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

I'm back :)

Hey, long time.
I won't make many excuses: I just been busy, and this is my hoby project.

I missed it so much! I tried to get back to this many times, but I just couldn't make it.

A few weeks ago, I was taking a look at an AngularJS tutorial just out of curiosity and as soon as I started it I tried it with the extension's data model. It was so simple that I kept on going, hence 0.3.2 :D

This cleanup allows me to make more changes to the extension, hopefully making it better, but also keeping it as simple as possible.

Check my previous post on more information about what changed in 0.3.2.

Also, here's a few links you might find interesting if you're interested in helping out:

  • GitHub project: If you're up for it, feel free to join and make it better :)
  • Crowdin project: Translate the extension to your own language :). There's a few translations (French, Polish, Spanish, Dutch) but there's a lot missing. We're 14% there :)
  • You'll find up to date information on what i'm working on in my Trello board. 
Finally, and most importantly, I was checking out some figures:
  1. Around 5.000 search queries (events) are run every day with the extension. 
  2. Last month, this meant 172,811 events!
  3. It's 2,689,418 events since the launch of the extension in June 6, 2011
  4. It seems that around 20.000 users have this extension installed
  5. Top search engine is Amashow, which I don't know what it's all about, but registered over 630.000 events, 23% of the total events from all times. Can someone tell me what these guys do for a living? :D
  6. Second in ranking is "Confidential": About 7% of the clicks are not tracked -by users' choice-.
  7. Close is YoutuBe, with 6.4% and then follow IMDB, Google, Amazon & Wikipedia (in that order).
Besides the fun in numbers, I also realized there's a lot of users using this tool, which is cool, but also more responsibility.

As the extension grows in complexity, with more features, I realize it's super hard for me to test them all the time, and making sure all is well. 
I'm thinking in asking for help in testing, having a small group of trusted beta-testers. If you're interested, please comment to this post and I'll add you to the group.
I'll probably start releasing new features to this closed group first, then to the open audience.

Finally, THANK YOU! You guys, are awesome, I 'm really happy you find this extension useful.

Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment