Chrome extension which allows you to right click on selected text and search on multiple sites at the same time.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

now on GitHub!

Michał, from Poland, sent me a mail yesterday -though my youtube account :P- suggesitng I posted my extension`s code to GitHub.
There's a couple features he'd like to have and he suggested he'll do it himself.
I've never thought about it, but it sounds like a really cool thing to do, so I just did! :D
I'm still getting used to the idea that other people might see the code and freak out, heh, but well, I never said it was a fine piece of software, did I? :)

So If you're readig this and interested, knock yourself out: https://github.com/frenetix/SimpleSelectSearch

Michał's 2 new suggestions where:

  • Option to remove the "search everywhere" link. Fair enough.
  • Have groups of links, so you might want to order your links in a specific way, with sub-folders and sub-sub-folders... Works if you have lots of links... i don't but am ok with it :D

He was also very polite as to offer himself to translate the extension into polish :D nice... remember you can translate it to you own language here: https://crowdin.net/project/simpleselectsearch/invite


Thursday, February 6, 2014

New crowdin project for translation available here

+knutars suggested that i created a project in crowdin so the extension could be translated to other languages more easily... So I just did that!

Check the translation project here

Thanks for helping out!

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

1 year without activity :P

Yikes... 2013 was intense!... a single update to the extension!
It's not like it's a finished product. It's just that I had no time at all :)
It was a good year, though :D

But there's a few new things I'd like to try this year, which will mean some major changes under the hood.
So even it might take some time, I thought to share it with you anyways:
  1. Configure links to replace spaces with %20 or '+' sign. That's a per-link configuration, since some sites use + on their URLs instead of the standard %20 for spaces. This was requested a long time ago, but means I should change the configuration object... that's why I haven't implemented it yet. It will mean some backward compatibility code will need to be in place, plus, most of all, will mean to change the current links table to something better... I'll start looking into cool JavaScript tables to use. 
  2. Configure links to be opened on a new window and on a new incognito window. Don't know if can be done... I'll have to check the Chrome API... It's something I came up with a long ago, but again, means all the changes mentioned above... so since I'm doing #1, makes sense to go for #2 too :)
  3. Someone requested this new feature that I liked: an option to display an icon on the omnibox and then a pop-up menu with the available links.... It's against the "right-click-search" original objective, but couldn't hurt to try... and I guess makes sense on some scenarios, like when I'm browsing from my iPad using a remote desktop to my computer... yeah... i do that sometimes :/ ... I'm not sure it will work or be easy to implement so, again, I will have to check the Chrome API. But since I haven't been doing much coding lattely, I welcome the challenge :P 
I'll also try and include a couple new translations (thanks for the offerings!!!) and well, #1 & #2 above will probably mean some more major changes... I'll re-think using knockoutJS to work with my configuration data... I'll have to ask someone that really knows if it's really worth it, though.

That's it so far, I hope to get back here soon with more news.